From our 'writers' in action...

Wednesday, 12 July 2017

Never too late to learn. By Carolyne Rickard



Reading was a chore for me when I was young. My mother would make me sit in the corner and read, to build up my vocabulary, so she said. I hated the fact that I was forced to read, especially as it was never anything really good it - it was just those trashy novels about love by Mills and Boon (no disrespect to themI did get educated, but not in the way my mother wanted at all). 

In my teens, however, I stumbled across Charlotte Bronte's Wuthering Heights.  From then on I was hooked on the love of reading, going through my years devouring a vast number of different books in different genres, like John Wyndham's The Day of the Triffids - wow what a fantastic book; aliens, scary as ...!


Now that I am older I read "how to" books on photography, as I'm always trying to learn more about that subject. 

But yes, I find that I still read trashy romance novels, like the epic Fifty Shades of Grey trilogy. Man, I could not put those books down. I am such a romantic. Never have I had books make me feel so much pain, passion and sadness, all at once.  Thank you EL James for writing them.


I would love to write a novel that people don’t want to put down, that would make them ignore their life to just keep turning the pages. Ah, we can all dream. But could it be more than a dream? Do I have the right magical stuff to be a writer? What makes me think that I could? Can I learn more at my age? 

Someone once told me that you either learn something new every day or you are dead, and it’s not my time to throw in the towel - well, not just yet.  And so I ask myself, could I learn to write a novel about love? Maybe all those late night session watching Sex in the City will pay off.  

Having enrolled in Writers in Action, and prepared myself for a weekend of learning from professional writers, will this be the great kick that I need to spur on my creativity? I think this will be a great opportunity to learn something totally new, something outside the box so to speak. Can I really do this?  I believe I can.

I have heard nothing but great things about this Festival and can’t wait to hear all the wondrous ideas that are lurking around Mildura in one weekend.


Never too old to learn I say.



3 comments:

  1. Chapman's book of scriptures does not take after the regular standards of cookery books, but rather is a hidden treasure for curry enthusiasts out there and the reason it has made this best cooking books list. The New Curry Bible does not just demonstrate to you the formulas but rather shows you the historical backdrop of curry making. book companies online

    ReplyDelete
  2. You probably know - but just made a mis-naming ... that Charlotte Bronte wrote Jane Eyre and Emily Bronte wrote Wuthering Heights. Sounds like your mum just wanted to keep you quiet and occupied while she read her own Mills and Boon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So what this article is about is the thing that to do when your editorial manager/distributer needs to re-compose your book anglican prayer book for you.

    ReplyDelete